The Irish Steel Guitar Association was formed in February 2002, primarily to plan and organise an annual Irish Steel Guitar Festival, but with a wider aim to promote the instrument and it's capabilities to a wider audience.
The objectives of the Association are.
- To promote the pedal steel guitar and demonstrate it's versatility and possibilities.
- To create a forum where both working players and enthusiasts can meet in an informal setting.
- To encourage awareness amongst younger musicians about the instrument and it's adaptability to both traditional and contemporary music.
- To encourage participation from both North and South in a unique presentation of live music.
- To provide an opportunity to hear and meet several of the leading exponents of the instrument.
Comprised of a small group of professional players and enthusiasts from both the North, south and UK, the Association hopes to introduce the steel guitar to all those who have a genuine interest in all categories of popular music.